I tried to find what I was looking for elsewhere. That led me to this site. I saw a question similar to my own in the history section. I asked there. I got chewed out for it. I searched for someplace more suitable to ask. I found this. I learned that translation requests are not acceptable here. I tried to find another Stack Exchange site that might be more suitable, but found none (at least none that were obvious). Since this is a question about the site, I tried to go to the meta to ask where I might find this mythical El Dorado where I might finally be allowed to ask for a translation, but as it turns out, one needs a certain reputation to ask questions in the meta, which I don't have. That leaves me with no choice but to ask here: where can I go to ask for a translation? Should I just go to Reddit instead?
Generally, translation request on Stack Exchange is discouraged due to its nature of a Q&A site with the goal to help future readers, in addition to the asker. Thus, we prefer to have questions that may expose concepts that can give more insights than just a straight-up translation, which many of "please translate this" requests don't.
That aside, some foreign language SE sites do accept translation request within a boundary:
- Chinese Language: What translation questions are on topic for this site?
- Esperanto Language: Are questions asking the translation of a complex sentence acceptable?
- French Language: Translation questions — Questions de traduction
- German Language: Does my translation request belong here and if not, where and how shall I ask it?
- Italian Language: Are questions about translation requests on topic?
- Japanese Language: Should pure translation questions be allowed?
- Korean Language: What is the policy for translation requests?
- Latin Language: What do we do with translation requests?
- Portuguese Language: Is asking to translate a short paragraph from English to Portuguese on topic here?
- Russian Language: Would this translation question be welcome?
- Spanish Language: Should this “translation” question be accepted as-is, or split up?
- Ukrainian Language: Questions tagged with 'from-*' (language source)
Aside from these languages, unfortunately there's no one-for-all translation SE site. In that case, the only alternative is to look for external sites like Reddit, etc.