I'm a grad student in linguistics, interested in semantics, pragmatics and prosody and currently doing fieldwork on K'iche' (a very cool Mayan language spoken in Guatemala).
Off the clock, I'm also interested in figuring out why the heck we teach this stuff — or in other words, why do people care about linguistics who don't do it for a living, what their interests are, and what they want to learn or get out of our classes. I figure if all goes well, I'll be teaching Intro to Linguistics once a year for the rest of my life, and I may as well get good at it.
Member for 9 years, 5 months
21 profile views
Last seen Oct 1 '20 at 17:02
Top network posts
- 36 Do the Khoisan languages resemble the world's first language?
- 25 How are languages and dialects distinguished from one another?
- 23 False-belief verbs
- 22 How is definiteness expressed in languages with no definite article, clitic or affix?
- 21 What is word order used for in "free word order" languages?
- 21 Why do we have interest in (dying) language preservation?
- 17 How did the Arabic word "allah" come to have an /lˤ/ ("emphatic l")?
- View more network posts →