I'm Louis Stein, native AmEng, and I really enjoy answering & teaching on English as a Second Language. I'm "learning as I go" so if I make any mistakes don't hesitate to comment or send me a chat message!
Diff and Merge Tool: Mergely - Great when you need to consolidate conflicting changes!
Sentence Parser: Stanford's LinGO English Resource Grammar (ERG). It's a "Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar", part of Stanford's CSLI LinGO Lab.
Word and Grammar Online Resources
Google Image Search: Google image search is a valuable research tool. Example: "running water"
Philosophy: I believe in life-long education such as that gained through the research I perform to give great answers on Stack Exchange.
Primary Interests: Cognitive psychology, linguistics, personal and cultural identity, theory of humor, and Education. Other Interests: Ballroom Dancing, Autism and Savant Syndrome (esp Absolute Pitch, which I have no sense of), Philosophy, Theory and History of Math, Theory and History of Science, Writing, Humor, Music, Piano, Singing (esp. Solfege), Education, ADHD, and Psychology.
Taught myself programming in 7th grade from my older brother's math book before I had a computer (1978). I would run the programs on paper to see what they would do. I learned to program for joy at the start of the personal computer revolution.
Member for 6 years, 9 months
0 profile views
Last seen Feb 21 '14 at 13:52
- English Language Learners 8k 8k 22 gold badges1919 silver badges4040 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 580 580 44 silver badges1919 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 392 392 11 silver badge1111 bronze badges
- Mathematics 374 374 11 silver badge88 bronze badges
- Philosophy 231 231 11 silver badge77 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 23 Does *first of all* always go with *second of all*?
- 23 IS or ARE? "The only thing that I want you to hit right now IS/ARE the books"
- 21 Do some Stack Exchange sites have nicer cultures than others? How does one develop a positive culture in beta?
- 17 This is gotta be the worst job in the world
- 14 How to explain the perpendicularity of two lines to a High School student?
- 12 "Could you please help me" vs "Could you help me please"
- 12 Difference between "why" and "what for"?
- View more network posts →