I'm a retired English grammarian. I enjoy answering questions.
- My Website at the University of Michigan
- Complete Publications and Lectures
- My alt.usage.english English Grammar pages
- Details and handouts from some recent talks
- A term paper about K-12 Language Science
- Two old coursepacks from my Intro Ling class (each ~100 pp)
- Scanned teaching materials from my Etymology class
Member for 8 years, 2 months
26 profile views
Last seen Jan 24 at 16:14
- English Language & Usage 88.8k 88.8k 88 gold badges134134 silver badges363363 bronze badges
- Linguistics 8.5k 8.5k 11 gold badge2626 silver badges4242 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 2.3k 2.3k 99 silver badges1717 bronze badges
- Writing 171 171 44 bronze badges
- Mathematics 101 101 22 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 123 What's wrong with "I'll open you the door"?
- 88 Why can't the word "can" be used in future tense (will can)?
- 83 Why do we refer to computers and other machines as being up or down?
- 77 What is the difference between an Emperor and a King?
- 75 I <verb> and am <rest of sentence>
- 61 Was "book" to "beek" as "foot" is to "feet"?
- 58 Why is the subject omitted in sentences like "Thought you'd never ask"?
- View more network posts →
5 3 days without questions Dec 4 '11
3 IPA Keyboard userscript for you! Dec 17 '12
2 Linguistics Greatest Hits Nov 13 '19