I'm a retired English grammarian. I enjoy answering questions.
- My Website at the University of Michigan
- Complete Publications and Lectures
- My alt.usage.english (English Grammar) pages
- Details and handouts from some recent talks
- A term paper about K-12 Language Science
- Two old coursepacks (each ~100 pp)
from my Intro Ling class
- Scanned teaching materials
from my Etymology class
Member for 9 years, 9 months
32 profile views
Last seen Jul 29 at 18:16
- English Language & Usage 95.8k 95.8k 99 gold badges151151 silver badges407407 bronze badges
- Linguistics 9.3k 9.3k 11 gold badge2828 silver badges4747 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 2.5k 2.5k 1010 silver badges2121 bronze badges
- Writing 196 196 55 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 119 119 33 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 127 What's wrong with "I'll open you the door"?
- 90 Why can't the word "can" be used in future tense (will can)?
- 85 Why do we refer to computers and other machines as being up or down?
- 78 I <verb> and am <rest of sentence>
- 78 What is the difference between an Emperor and a King?
- 63 Was "book" to "beek" as "foot" is to "feet"?
- 61 Why is the subject omitted in sentences like "Thought you'd never ask"?
- View more network posts →